Saturday, June 6, 2009

Let There Be Rock


As a bit of a blues muso, I really love live music. My favourite bands and musicians aren't always the slickest or most professional.


I like musicians with passion and a sense of showmanship. Soon after I got my DSLR, I went to take some shots of one of my favourite local bands, The Boogiemen, but was limited by the low light conditions.


I didn't want to use the on-camera flash while the boys were playing, so I took some shots of them in their breaks, dragging the shutter to add some creative blur effects. I got some shots, but wanted something better.

I decided to get myself a "nifty fifty", a 50mm f/1.8 lens, that would let me shoot in the pub's low light conditions without the need for flash. I was pleased with the results and so I think, were the Boogiemen.

Jack gets it Drummer Dooley





Boog The Boogieman's Belly

Don't ask me what the gaffer tape on the nipples is all about.

I'm looking forward to shooting more bands, at live gigs and set-ups. Since the Boogiemen shoot, I've got some lighting gear and have done some portrait work for another musician friend, but that's another story...

No comments:

Post a Comment